CONVERSATIONS: MY LOCKDOWN STORY.

Six amazing individuals across various levels in the field of medical laboratory science come together to have a conversation about these uncertain times. Six questions answered by them takes us through their lockdown experiences.
Q 1: The first question goes to you, what was your reaction and what did going home feel like when federal government asked all students to go home due to the pandemic?
DANIEL: Okay. At first, I agreed with govt. It was a good idea to curtail the virus, but still going home felt somehow to me. I knew I'd go home to eat and rest well. A break from CMUL stress, but damn! I didn't want to leave school because, at home I'd be bored, broke, running errands! LIGHT!!! AARGH the transformer spoils weekly (laughs).
Q 2: Tell us, what day are we since the first lockdown was ordered in response to the pandemic. And what do you miss mostly about all the times before lockdown, even if its hanging out with bae (winks) we won’t judge.
SVG: Today is June 1 and a whole 2 months plus without playing football and watching EPL is boring (tbh). Of course I miss my friends especially the 326 boys. Unfortunately, I am locked away from my residence in Lagos and like they say 'No place like home', it is not necessarily your hometown (lol). I also miss not being able to play the keyboard. I can't miss bae because we know how we still smuggle the movement even in the lockdown (laughs); that was a joke, I am single, will you be my girlfriend?
Q 3: People have been saying a lot of things about the lockdown. A friend said it has helped him reflect and think of his purpose. Another said, she’s finally figuring out the art of self-love and her skin can tell from all the glow. Tell us the one thing you’ve been able to achieve during this lockdown?
BISOLA:  Since it is one thing I have achieved this holiday, okay. I know some of you would be waiting to hear ‘I discovered purpose’ or ‘I discovered one new talent’ (laughs) but my dears, I'm pleased and happy to announce to you that (drumrolls) I. ADDED. WEIGHT. Yaay! 3kg! From 44 to 47!!! and I know I'm still moving. I feel fulfilled because I don't easily add weight no matter the food but I did this time (smiles).
Q 4: You’re in your final year, and I’m sure you didn’t picture it going this way, no one did. Tell us what your fears are upon resumption and what you wish you could use your time to do but you’re not doing.
LOLADE: My fears are back to back lectures and project work but Jesus is truly faithful (laughs). His grace brought me this far and His grace will see me through. I think one of the things I need to do more is EXERCISE because you know, this weight is not here to joke.
Q 5: There are a lot of news going about during these uncertain times. One of which claimed, the frequent hand wash, use of gloves and nose masks limits us from interacting with microbes within our surrounding which help boost our immunity. Do you think these measures do more harm than good?
MOYO: I believe It does more good. Yes, researches have shown that interactions with microbes in our environment tend to increase the diversity of the microbes within us which has potential benefits to human health. We should also bear in mind that the greater evil is this virus, hence the preventive measures put in place. It can only be harmful when people use these preventive measures inappropriately. Also, I would like to advise us to be careful of the news we take in during this pandemic as a lot of people feel they have opinions to certain things but it is mostly baseless.
Q 6: You are a medical laboratory scientist working in the front line. How do you cope getting up every morning to go to work during these times? Tell us what your fears are.
TOLA: Since the advent of COVID-19, things have largely not been the same. Work schedules have been upturned and we are still struggling to restore normalcy in a post-Covid world. But down to the details, nothing has really changed. We still run our routine samples observing universal safety precautions and the only addition to PPE (personal protective equipment) is the use of face masks but I guess it’s a new addition for everyone in Lagos. Getting to work is not an issue for me as it’s within walking distance but for some of my colleagues, transport fare has tripled. As for my biggest fear, it is contracting the virus and spreading it to my friends and loved ones. The risk of infections is an inherent part of my profession and nobody else should share risks they didn’t sign up for.


Meet the responders:
Tola - MLS intern at igbogbi federal hospital, 2018 EIC
Moyo - a recent MLS graduate, 2019 EIC
Lolade Olutekunbi - 500 level
Bisola - 400 level
Comrade SVG - 300 level
Daniel - 200 level

Hope you enjoyed our first conversation series. We would like to hear your lockdown story too! drop your answers to any of the questions in the comments below.
Love and light always.

Hamidah A. H
Editor-in-chief, of NIMELSSA EDITORIAL TEAM 19/20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LAB GUYS

SEVEN TIPS TO HELP YOU THRIVE IN LAB POSTINGS